If you are into sublimation printing works, you must have thought about sublimation ink, what it is, how it is used, and what is the difference between sublimation ink, dye ink, and regular ink? Right? You have come up to the right place since I am in the sublimation field so have been asked a lot about sublimation inks and how they work.
After so many queries and questions, I have come up with this article in which I have tried my best to explain everything related to sublimation ink, its uses, its functioning, and what are its differences from other types of inks. Stay with us, if you want to master sublimation inks.
Table of Contents
What Is Sublimation Ink?
Sublimation is the process in which solids directly convert into the gaseous state, without passing through the liquid. Sublimation inks are the inks used in the sublimation printing procedures, where the pressure and heat are applied that convert the ink into the gaseous state without letting it pass through the liquid state. Let us together look into the in-depth study of sublimation ink, its uses, its working, and the properties it carries.
Properties Of Sublimation Ink
Sublimation ink, because it is used in sublimation printing procedures transfers the image or the design into the printing object and not on top of it as layering.
- The print does not fade even if it is placed in sunlight and under harsh weather conditions.
- The prints made by sublimation do not wash off in any case.
- The print made is permanent and does not tear in any case.
- Sublimation Ink is effortless to use.
- These inks are highly reliable and durable when it comes to long term usage
- Sublimation ink is reliable to be used on any kind of material including metal, plastic, paper, and fabric.
What Is Sublimation Ink Used For?
Sublimation ink is used by sublimation printers for sublimation purposes. It transfers the print on sublimation paper, the way that the print neither tears nor fades off in any way. Moreover, there are multiple types of sublimation inks used for multiple types of prints.
If you want to create quality prints on frames, mugs, bedsheets, bottles, pillow covers, and other fabrics, metals, ceramics, and plastics, sublimation ink is a must to have. Further, if you are working in the sublimation field, you must be aware of how necessary it is for you to have sublimation ink when it comes to sublimation printing procedures. You can also read about sublimation ink for epson by visiting this article: Best Sublimation Ink For Epson
How Does Sublimation Work?
Sublimation is actually the process that transforms the solid into a gaseous state, without passing through the liquid. Since here we are talking about sublimation printing, I would like to explain how sublimation printing works. The sublimation procedure involves heat and pressure, to combine both fabric and ink and make them as one. Following are the steps that explain how sublimation printing works.
- There is a special paper called sublimation paper on which the design is printed in the first step.
- The heat is then applied which converts the ink into the gaseous form.
- As soon as it is converted into the gaseous state, it is mixed with the fabric and the design is then permanently shifted onto the printing product. And this is how sublimation works.
Until now we have covered so many topics related to sublimation and sublimation printing. Now is the time to look into some of the disadvantages of sublimation ink. Moreover, this is important for you to learn about the disadvantages of sublimation inks, specifically if you are planning to step into the sublimation business.
Disadvantages Of Sublimation Ink
- At times the prints are not waterproof.
- The sublimation printing procedure takes a lot of time.
- Working with sublimation printing is expensive and quite costly.
- Because there are so many companies constructing sublimation, one often gets confused in selecting the adequate one.
- When compared with pigment ink, it has been noticed that sublimation ink is around 100% more expensive and costly than that.
- Finding the best, adequate and compatible ink is really difficult because sublimation printers work with only compatible inks and not with any other sublimation inks.
In general sublimation ink is the best choice, when it comes to sublimation printing. It is a great and a very reliable option for the creation of high-quality prints, images, and designs on multiple products such as mugs, T-shirts, bed sheets, pillow covers, frames, tablecloths, and cushions. Many companies are constructing sublimation inks nowadays.
While selecting the ink for yourself, always focus on its compatibility with the printer you have. Moreover, the above-mentioned article tells you about everything related to sublimation, the advantages, and disadvantages, and how it works. Make sure you have gone through each and everything and have learned everything about sublimation, its functioning, characteristics, and what it is used for!